If you would like to submit a recipe for me to try (and post about!) please email it to me at rachelsrainbow@live.com

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Salsa

This is by far my favorite salsa, because it is the real thing!! None of that Pace picante or stuff made in New York City for me! My friend taught me how to make this recently and I have been making and eating it ever since! The only thing is that I don't have an exact recipe, which is rough for someone like me. I about have a panic attack when I try to cook without a recipe. But this is so good it was at least worth me trying to explain the instructions, and it is actually easier than you think, at least give it a try.


Salsa
what you need:
Roma Tomatoes (about 4-5 and you don't want them too ripe. dicing is easier if they are still slightly firm)
White Onion (1 will be more than enough, we won't use that much)
Cilantro (oh my favorite, these are usually sold bunched together, we only need a handful so just buy one thing of it and you will have plenty left over)
1-2 limes
salt


For the Hot Sauce you will need:
2 Roma tomatoes
chili de arbol
garlic


So lets start with the hot sauce:
take 2 of the roma tomatoes (i know the picture shows 3 but we only ended up using 2 and it made a lot, since you don't use much of the hot sauce) and about 4-5 of the chiles (pinch the caps off) and place them in a skillet over med-high heat, flip and cook until blackened. Note-when the chiles and tomatoes blacken they will pop open which can cause coughing so have the stove fan on (I have no idea what causes this, if there are any scientist out there that can give me the chemical analysis of why this happens I would love to know).
Then throw them into a blender (I like to use my magic bullet) and add in a clove of garlic. Turn it on high speed and mix until well blended.

Strain through a colander into a small bowl so that you get nothing but the juice, you may need to stir it around so that all of the juice comes out. And ta-da, you have your hot sauce, and be careful it really will be hot.

So then all that is left to do is dice up the other roma tomotoes, onion (I use my kitchen aid chopper and only about 1/4 of the onion), and a handful of the cilantro (which I also chop). What you are trying to accomplish is having a nice mix so that everything looks about like this...

After you throw all the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro together you want to add the lime and the salt, and you are going to have to go by taste (as a guess I would start with 1/2 of the lime and 1-2 tsp of salt). This is what gives it its flavor, so just keep tasting. Now to give it some spice! Everyone likes different levels of spicy, I am personally a mild or medium spicy person so I add about 1-2 Tbsp of the hot sauce, but taste it has you go, one extra spoonful can make it too hot! if you do get it too hot it's okay, just add some more lime and salt or tomatoes or something. So I know this is not as exact as I usually like for a recipe to be, but I promise it is really good!!

Taste Rating: 5 (like I said it is my favorite salsa!)

Difficulty Rating: 3.5 (mostly you are just chopping and dicing, but clean up is definitely the worst part)

Thanks to my friend for teaching me how to make this great salsa, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, and don't forget to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment